The Indian Institute of Skiing and Mountaineering also conducts courses in the Gulmarg area, apart from taking groups out on “adventure courses”, which are basically treks. The institute is not considered one of India’s best, but it’s an option.
IISM is a national institute which has been promoting winter and adventure sports in the Kashmir valley for the last five decades.
Details on 15-day snow ski courses of the Indian Institute of Ski and Mountaineering (IISM) at Gulmarg in 2009:
- Total courses organized in a year: 5
- First ski course was held from January 14 to January 27.
- Second started on January 28 and concluded on February 11.
- There is a test in which the trainees appear after the end of the course which need to pass to qualify to get certificates.
- The course stregth is about 40 students of various age groups. Generally there is a huge rush of applicants.
- The course is three-level, designated as basic, intermediate and advance.
- Name of some Trainers: Hadeeqa Khurshid, Muhammad Shafi, Tariq Zargar, Feroz Ahmad Khan, Jeelani, Shabir Ahmad Dar
- Principal: Mr. Khurshid Ahmad Mir
- Equipment: The institute now sources equipment independent of Tourism department and its own snow scooters, snow beating machines and all the hi-tech gadgets needed for skiing
- Address: The Principal, Indian Institute Of Skiing & Mountaineering, Gulmarg, J&K
For Skiing courses in the winter of 2009-2010, check this post here:
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.