This website is less of a blog, more of a resource for visitors to Gulmarg. Its an attempt to organize information on Gulmarg which, if you would have realized, is very scanty. Please feel encouraged to post any questions; and equally, if you have any answers or comments that can help others, please share them here. Especially so if you have visited Gulmarg recently. Please also set up user account and share any musings, experiences, etc. Facts are very difficult to get by around Gulmarg – so any real experiences on where to stay, what do do, etc. are really welcome.
While Gulmarg is an all-weather resort with refreshing summer meadows and pastoral scenes to keep the camera busy, the main reason to come here, at least in winter, is the off-piste, deep-powder, long-run skiing and snowboarding. The Himalayan resort of Gulmarg is one of the newest and increasingly popular ski destinations. Head here for the world’s highest gondola ski lift and eye-popping views.
Google News: Gulmarg
- New areas in Gulmarg opened for tourists - Greater Kashmir
- Girl killed, two others injured after high winds down trees in Gulmarg - Greater Kashmir
- Popularity Gulmarg Village - I am in dna of India (blog)
- CM reviews Gulmarg Master Plan-2032 - Greater Kashmir
- Gulmarg Leopards, Wular Warriors to clash in KFL-Dubai final on June 3 - Greater Kashmir
Latest Post From Each Category
- Accomodation: Gulmarg 2012 Skiing Courses Schedule - IISM Gulmarg - December 23rd, 2011
- Bollywood: Action Replay movie sequence to be shot in Gulmarg - April 23rd, 2010
- Current Weather: Avalanche takes a big toll - February 10th, 2010
- Drang: Drang - the new tourist resort - November 28th, 2007
- Events Calendar: Calendar of five Short Snow Skiing Courses 2009-2010 - January 20th, 2010
- General Information: Gulmarg History - March 30th, 2010
- Golf: Golf course in Gulmarg - June 19th, 2007
- Gondola - Cable Car: Gulmarg Gondola - torn between progress and livelihood - December 21st, 2010
- Heli-skiing: Update on Gulmarg Heli-Skiing - January 29th, 2012
- News: World Snow Day - January 29th, 2012
- Paragliding: Is paragliding possible in Gulmarg? - June 19th, 2007
- Pictures: 2012 Winter Pictures - January 29th, 2012
- Places to visit: Now visit Botpathri in Nagin Valley - May 18th, 2012
- Skiing: Learning Skiing at Gulmarg - January 29th, 2012
- Skiing Courses: Gulmarg 2012 Skiing Courses Schedule - IISM Gulmarg - December 23rd, 2011
- Temples: St. Mary Church Gulmarg - June 28th, 2007
- Things to consider: Ski across the fence to Pakistan! - January 20th, 2010
- Travel details: JKSRTC Bus Fares - November 18th, 2007
- Uncategorized: Trekking In Gulmarg - June 14th, 2007
- Videos: Gulmarg Videos: Team Gulmarg: "Relax, this is Kashmir" - December 1st, 2007
- What to do: Private organized ski package tours - December 27th, 2007
- Winter Games 2008: Winter Games Torch to reach Gulmarg on Feb 17 - February 15th, 2008
- Winter Games 2009: Snow Baseball Championship in Gulmarg Kashmir - January 11th, 2010
Originally called ‘Gaurimarg’ by shepherds, its present name was given in the 16th century by Sultan Yusuf Shah, who was inspired by the sight of its grassy slopes emblazoned with wild flowers. Gulmarg was a favourite haunt of Emperor Jehangir who once collected 21 different varieties of flowers from here. Today Gulmarg is not merely a mountain resort of exceptional beauty- it also has the highest green golf course in the world, at an altitude of 2,650 m, and is the country’s premier ski resort in the winter.
The journey to Gulmarg is half the enchantment of reaching there– roads bordered by rigid avenues of poplar give over to flat expanses of rice fields interspersed with picturesque villages. Depending on the season, nature’s colours could be the translucent green of spring, summer’s rich emerald, or autumn’s golden hues, when scarlet chillies festoon windows of village homes. After Tangmarg, the climb to Gulmarg begins through fir-covered hillsides. At one point, known simply as View Point, travellers generally stop their vehicles for a few minutes and look out a spectacle of snow-covered mountains, almost within touching distance.
The Meadow Of Flowers
A huge cup shaped meadow, lush and green with slopes where the silence is broken only by the tinkle of cowbells, Gulmarg looks like a fantasy set in a film and not surprisingly have been the venue of several films.
The valley of Gulmarg, a large meadow about 3-sq-kms in area, stands at 2,730 metres, 56-km south west of Srinagar . The name means ‘Meadow Of Flowers’ and in the spring it’s just that, a rolling meadow dotted with countless colourful Bluebells, Daisies, Forget Me Not’s and Buttercups. The valley itself is about 3-km long and up to a km wide.
Take a Hike!
All around are snow-capped mountains, and on a clear day one can see all the way to Nanga Parbat is one direction and Srinagar is another. It’s a popular day trip from Srinagar to Gulmarg, although many people extend their stay or use it as a base for trekking. The road from Srinagar rises gently towards the lower slopes of the range, passing through rice and maize fields.